Transitions Abroad

Sunday, October 18, 2009

written October 2, 2009 in Shanghai (day 2 of my trip)...

I’ve made yet another large life transition. It seems my life has a pattern of starting and ending events on a yearly basis. Honestly, this is by choice and something I have become so accustomed to I can barely wrap my mind around a longer time frame for a job or living situation. With frequent transitions comes the always-difficult round of goodbyes. Saying goodbye to friends is never easy and I am careful to rephrase it as “see you later” for my own emotional stability. Sometimes I see a new friend later and sometimes I don’t, but I’d much rather assume we will meet again when I depart than worry I’m hugging them for the last time.

Spending a year in Korea was one of the best adventures I’ve had in my lifetime. I remember going into it worried about the people I would meet, the food I would eat, and whether or not I had packed enough deodorant—a legitimate fear since it really is difficult to find. I had no expectations and knew very little about the country and its culture. As I look back now I realize how influential every aspect of the experience was on my life.

As a whole, Koreans are the most sincere and giving people I have ever met. Continuously blown away by their generosity, I was impressed every time someone went the extra mile and treated me like a member of their family. Friends set aside large chunks of time to assist me with anything from translating a bill to getting a haircut. There was always enough time in their schedule to spend time with me even when I knew they had a million other things to do. Short events would turn into all day extravaganzas as a meal was almost always involved—a very Korean addition to any activity.

Living abroad has changed me in ways I hadn’t considered before the move. I feel different having spent time away from home–and not different in that I know how to use chopsticks, say hello in several new languages, or navigate a subway system; but different in who I am. Some of my ideals have changed, my worries have subsided and my interests have evolved. I am still myself, but a more confident and complete version. I don’t fear the unknown as much because I know it usually brings something surprisingly wonderful. Things that scare me are typically the experiences that shape my character the most; and I’ve learned the mishaps always make the best stories.

Korea will always be with me wherever I go and although the future is unknown, I wouldn’t have it any other way.

2 comments:

backpack girls said...

Wonderful post. 16 days!

Unknown said...

Sniffle

Post a Comment