Shanghai Tricks

Thursday, October 29, 2009

Avoid the pretty English-speaking local girls goading men into coffee and conversation... What resembles a genuine invitation could be a press-ganging to a pricey cafe or bar and the unexpected presentation of a staggering bill. Just pretend you don't speak English...

-Lonely Planet, Shanghai


I know I'm not a man and tea isn't coffee, but I had my guard up when stopped three times on the way to the Shanghai Museum. Obviously not a local, I had my map in hand and probably looked a bit lost when approached by three girls.

Them: Do you need help?

Me: Just looking for the museum.

Them: Where you from?

Me: US

Them: Ohh... USA. Very good! How long you here?

Me: Just a few days. Is the museum that way?

Them: Oh, yes. Just past that building but we just came from here and it was very crowded. Take a break.

Me: Take a break? It's closed?

Them: Too many people. We go back at 3:00, you too.

Me: Oh.

Them: There's a tea expo just over there behind that building. Come with us.

Me: No, thank you. That's very nice but I want to go to the museum.

Them: Why? But we said to you it is very crowded. Come with us. We can practice our English. It is not very good.

Me: No, your English is very good! Thanks but I'm going to the museum still. Bye!


After walking for 5 minutes I was stopped by a Chinese couple....


Them: Hello, where you from?

Me: USA

Them: Wow. Where are you going?

Me: Shanghai Museum. Is it that way?

Them: Yes, but we're going to a tea expo. You can come with us first.

Me: Oh, that's nice but no thank you. I want to get to the museum before it closes.

Them: You need more time to see the museum. It's late now. You need a full day.

Me: Maybe I will come back tomorrow if I don't finish. Thanks!

Them: Okay...


5 minutes later... another couple...


Them: Excuse me, will you take our picture?

Me: Sure

Them: Where you from?

Me: USA

Them: Very far! Where you going?

Me: Shanghai Museum

Them: We're going to a tea expo just over there. You should come with us.

Me: (chuckling now) No, thanks. I need to get to the museum before they close. Bye!


I still don't know if any encounters were scams or if Shanghai locals really love to invite foreigners to tea expos, but when I arrived at the museum it was not at all crowded like the first three girls told me.... sneaky...

3 comments:

damona.mae said...

that is crazy!!!!!!!!!! good job for having your guard up!!

Nicole said...

That must've been some tea expo.

Anonymous said...

Probably everyone had already left the museum to go to the tea expo. (Nicki)

Post a Comment