Solo Travels

Monday, October 19, 2009

written October 6, 2009 in Chengdu, China (day 6 of the trip)...

Traveling solo has come with a mixed bag of emotions. It offers the luxury of time and affords me the opportunity to make decisions on my own based on my current emotions. If I want to go somewhere, I go. If I want to sit in my room all day and catch up on my writing, I can do that without feeling pressured by anyone else’s needs. At the same time, however, it’s much more challenging and mentally exhausting. Finding my way around a new country without the support of another person can be daunting and overwhelming. Without a significant sense of direction, I’ve had to step out of my comfort zone many times just to get myself from point A to point B.

I’ve met a lot of interesting people along the way—some very kind and sincere and others off their rockers. I’ve found there are three questions fellow travelers always ask each other:

1. Where are you from?

2. Where have you been?

3. Where are you going?

The people I gravitate to always respond in appropriate detail, not too long and not too short, before asking me the same questions:

“I’m from Canada. Yeah, I’ve been traveling through China for 3 weeks now and really enjoyed my time in Beijing. I’m headed to Tibet after this and really look forward to it. How about you?"

However, there are some people who LOVE to talk and who believe they have all the answers and the best stories to retell (some of this is pieced together from actual conversations I’ve had with various people…):

“I’m from England, but I can tell from your accent you’re American (a cleverly disguised insult). I’ve been traveling for 3 months so far and have only bought one plane ticket. My tiny bag is the perfect size and I’ve only done laundry once. I found the best city in China, but most people don’t really know about it so I was one of the only foreigners there. When I was in Shanghai I was mugged at knifepoint in a back alley foot massage parlor but I got away. Next, I’m going to Tibet even though it’s closed right now and extremely dangerous. I’m sure I can get in. I’ll probably climb Everest without any gear before taking a train to Vietnam where I plan on drinking snake’s blood. I can almost speak fluent Chinese, but I moved away from China too soon. People probably wonder why I have a Hong Kong residence card and a British Passport, I’m probably the only one. I’m way under budget, too—by nearly $1,000. You said you’re heading to Xi’an next? That seems like a really backwards itinerary. And how much did you pay for your room? I got mine for practically nothing! Well, anyways… I need to go book a really cheap ticket so I’ll see you later.”

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hilarious, Holly. So - you're gonna be just like that, right?

LACarroll said...

That's why I try not to talk too much. I feel that is how I sound. Enjoy the rest of your trip and I look forward to reading more posts.

Post a Comment