Korean Lessons

Thursday, March 19, 2009

An opportunity finally arose for me to take Korean lessons and I jumped at the chance. Andrea and I meet every Saturday at 10:30 am, with some other friends, at church. The one and a half hour lessons are free and the group is small so I have high hopes of learning a lot. Last week, we learned how to introduce ourselves to another person and tell them our job and phone number. Unfortunately, I've already forgotten half of it. However, in an attempt to increase my skills before next class, I've been practicing the alphabet; a useful thing to know, I'm sure. 

Prior to my lesson last week, I asked some of my middle school girls to give me a Korean name. They all have Korean AND English names so I thought it only appropriate that I do, too. I told them to pick something cute and the winner was.... Min Jung! I love it, though now I struggle with 3 identities (my Korean name; my real name; and my middle name, which I use at school). Now that I know some of the alphabet, I'm able to easily spell and write Min Jung. My real names, however, are a little less straight-forward and I'm still working those out.

Phonetic Korean lesson of the day:

"Cho nun Min Jung imnida."

(I am Min Jung.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment