Five Days in Beijing

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Our last day in Beijing provided us with just enough time to sleep in, wander around, and eat lunch before heading to the airport.  On our way to take more pictures in Tiananmen Square, Andrea and I made a few extra turns and ended up in an unfamiliar, but thoroughly engrossing neighborhood.  Content to wander around and snap photos, I enjoyed the absence of tourists and agendas.   














Along with the elaborate architecture, I found the doorways in China compelling.  Painted red in accordance with Feng Shui principles, the main door is considered "the mouth of Chi," through which all energy enters—positive and negative.  According to Chinese tradition, red is considered to be the most auspicious color in Feng Shui.  Attracting a high energy level, a red door will nourish the house and improve one's life. 









Leaving China was bittersweet and, as with any vacation, I was excited to sleep in my own bed. The ancient city has much to offer and in five days, we were only able to glimpse the periphery. I eagerly await the opportunity to explore other culturally rich cities such as Shanghai, Xian, and Hong Kong; but until then I am content to relive my China experiences through colorful pictures and quirky memories.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holly, this was so exciting to explore Beijing with you and Andrea. I waited to comment until you had finished the trip. The pictures bring the whole story to life. The Olympic buildings are really something to remember. But the scorpions, worms, and snakes on a stick are not as exciting! Glad you had this adventure.
Love you, Mom.

Dianne said...

Holly~I so enjoy reading your blog! Your writing is extraordinary...it's almost as if I were there with you. I love your pink hat too. Have you thought of journalism as your next career?

Enjoying you!
~Dianne~

travelgirl said...

Thanks Dianne! I'm so glad you're enjoying it and sharing in my travels!

-Holly

Kirbs said...

Loved the China adventure. Still sick to my stomach at the thought of eating brains. Yikes! I think I would have a hard time traveling with you since I am a vegetarian. lol

xoxo

Post a Comment