A Child's Perspective

Thursday, January 15, 2009

The poor state of our economy can be felt half a world away as I leave the bank after transferring money back to the states.  What was once a respectable exchange rate between the US and Korea has now plummeted to an infuriating loss and I feel the burn each month. Hearing the news from back home of so many people losing their jobs or worrying about the possibility is a new and dismal concept for my generation.

The financial state of Korea is teetering on the edge now, too, and I see it in the loss of students at school.  No longer able to afford the high cost of language academies, parents are beginning to pull their children out in an effort to save money.  Perhaps not as devastating as the crisis in the US, Koreans are feeling the pressure and trying to ignore their sweaty palms.  

Every Monday, my students are required to turn in a diary with a new entry from the past week.  Usually written about basic things like soccer, pets, and kimchi; I was surprised to find a note written by one of my inquisitive fifth graders on the current state of the Korean economy.

Economic Slump 
by Ted
"Today, mom and my sister and me were went to the mart.  But in the mart food, clothes... etc. were very expensive.  I'm surprise.  The government was make the low price for food, living things, for citizen.  But I think it didn't it.  world is in the state of business activities.  Then my mom wasn't buy lot of things.  I'm very saddened by world.  Because they did war, and pitiful activities.  I want to world is peace."  

Unlike English skills, a pure and honest perception of the world cannot be learned.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sad, but so true!
We just have to pray things will get better.
Love,
Mom

Brooke said...

This kid seems wiser than most adults I know...

Post a Comment