Diary- Hello Teacher!

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Many of you seemed surprised, or perhaps even a bit concerned, by my pervious diary entry from Nancy.  I'm sure it's hard for some of you to imagine my shiny, angelic personality in teacher mode; but without the tricks I've learned from more experienced teachers, my classes would be running crazy while I stood around smiling all day.  

On my first day of each new class, I quickly assess the students' behavior upon entering the room. Sometimes, the students appear comatose and I know that talking will not be one of their problems.  However, less than a second after entering Nancy's class on the first day, I knew immediate action was necessary. Most of the boys were out of their seats, wrestling each other to the ground, and yelling in Korean.  Realizing the students needed a set of guidelines and boundaries, I silently grabbed my marker and wrote 4 rules on the board:

1.  No Korean (a school-wide rule)
2.  No talking when the teacher is talking
3.  Stay in your seat
4.  Raise your hand   

The bombardment of rules and consequences caused momentary shock, and my students fell silent.  I calmly explained what I expected of them and then continued onto the lesson.  I am happy to report that they never once wrestled each other to the ground again.  Sitting still is not a problem, nor is raising their hands or keeping quiet during a lesson.  However, I still have to remind them on a daily basis to refrain from speaking in Korean.  Switching between the two languages is easy, and rarely do they realize it's happened.  David, my chatty student, has been reminded so many times that he now humorously scolds himself when he realizes his mistake. In the 4 months I've been teaching their class, we've shared countless laughs together and grown closer than the border between North and South Korea.

With that said, please enjoy the last two, "first day," dairy entries from Nancy's class...


New Teacher
by Steven

On Monday, a new teacher come to my class.  She name is Renee or Holly.  I think she was very kind.  But she didn't kind.  One hour later, class student says "Teacher is very intense!"  I think so too.  Teacher, please change kind.

________________


Hello!  Teacher!
by Penny

My name is Penny.
My new teacher's name is Renee.
And David is strange.
Because he talks Korean in ECC.
But Renee (new teacher) teacher coming.
David is very quiet.
So I think David is tricky.

3 comments:

Brooke said...

Hahahaha....I literally laughed out loud at my desk while reading these entries....seriously, I need to meet these kids....especially "tricky" David! Oh Holls, please change kind :)

Anonymous said...

Teacher Renee, who is more of a challenge, "tricky" David or little Lloyd in Austin? It sounds like your boys keep the days interesting! Love the diary entries!
Love you, Mom

travelgirl said...

Oh, Lloyd. He was never a challenge—just a constant source of entertainment. David is definitely tricky though....

Post a Comment