Diary- Hair & Skirt

Monday, July 20, 2009


Middle schools and high schools have strict rules regarding the students' appearances. Of course, the boys and girls absolutely hate the restrictions and try to sneak around the system when at all possible. The length of hair is the most debated rule for both boys and girls. Boys must keep their locks short and far away from the shirt collar. In middle school, girls are required to cut their hair above their shoulders, or bind long hair (binding simply means a low ponytail pulled loose to give the illusion of a short bob in front). However, all female high school students must adhere to a "short hair only" policy. Not adhering to the rules results in a black mark on their record, or a teacher inflicted haircut. In some instances, it's hard to tell which would be worse. According to my middle school students, many hair salons are knowledgeable about the rules at each school so students need only to walk into a salon and ask for their school's cut. For example, "I'd like the Dongsan High School cut, please."

In addition to the strict hair rules, no makeup, nail polish, jewelry, or open-toe shoes; all middle schools and high schools require uniforms. A winter uniform and summer uniform are very similar except for the weight of the fabric and addition of a jacket. Boys wear long pants and a button-down shirt while girls don similar shirts with a skirt. Unhappy with the frumpiness of the uniforms, it's common for students to get them "fixed." Seamstresses are well-equipped to handle the common changes many students make to their wardrobe. Shortening the skirt a few centimeters and tightening the shirts are the most common adjustments made to the girls' uniforms. After seeing many of the boys, I wouldn't be surprised if they request alterations on their pants—skinny jeans are popular for guys and I doubt schools have the foresight to provide that option in their uniforms.

Hair & Skirt

by Rachel, 8th grade

I don't want bind my hair
but I must bind my hair.
I don't like long skirt,
but I have to wear a long skirt!

If I don't bind my hair and wear a short skirt,
teachers give a black mark.
But now I'm wearing a short skirt and don't binding my hair.
Why? Because I like it!
Actually, I'm scary.
(If teacher look me, teacher give a black mark. So I'm scary about that).

0 comments:

Post a Comment