Vampire Deer

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

During my visit to the DMZ in November, I briefly heard mention of a vampire deer that lives in the hills of South Korea.  Curious, yet skeptical, I filed the information in the back of my mind for further investigation.  While sitting at my computer the other day, thoughts of the alleged vampire deer resurfaced and I decided to unearth the truth.  Does a vampire deer really exist?  Yes, it does.

For all you Twilight fans, I named him, Edward.

Actually called a Siberian Musk Deer, vampire deer derive their nickname from the canine teeth, which project well below their lips.  Unlike traditional vampires, musk deer do not feed on the blood of humans or other animals, but rather enjoy the leaves, flowers, and grasses in the hills where they live. Found mostly in Mongolia, China, North Korea, and South Korea; the population of musk deer has declined by 50% since the 1990's because of over-hunting.  The musk collected from a male's musk gland is used in the production of soaps and perfumes, as well as, for other medicinal purposes.  

From now on, I will worry my Korean-purchased soaps contain male vampire deer musk.   


photo courtesy of http://flickr.com/photos/68214226@N00/52381420

5 comments:

Brooke said...

If they are herbivores, then why do they need such large, scary teeth??

travelgirl said...

A very valid question...

Anonymous said...

wow that's amazing

Anonymous said...

They have the large canines for protection, as they are descendants from the Palaeomerycidae, which is a distant ancestor of the deer. You can see a picture of a remake of the scarier ancestor on wikipedia, search "Musk Deer". I have made sure the information there is valid.

Anonymous said...

omg that is just amazing now i want one.

Post a Comment