Subway, my love

Sunday, February 1, 2009



Dear Subway Restaurant,

Being separated from you for four months since leaving America was almost more than I could handle, and I've spent many sleepless nights thinking about the relationship we once shared. Finding you again, standing proudly on the street in Seoul, was surreal for me and I'm sure you felt it, too.  The smell of freshly baked bread as I opened the door flooded my mind with memories that span nearly 20 years; and the mouth-watering sensation that I had grown to love returned with a new fervor.  

I was momentarily disappointed to see you had left behind the Italian Herbs & Cheese bread in America, and reluctantly settled for Honey Oat instead. However, those lackluster feelings quickly dissolved when you prepared for me a turkey sandwich with cheese, just the way I like it. Succulent turkey, non-existent in Korea, provided the base for pearlescent, American cheese triangles. Like confetti, crisp iceberg lettuce provided padding for the bounty of fresh vegetables including; almost red tomatoes, luscious green bell peppers, perfectly pungent onions, and extra black olives.  Gone from my mind was the odd yogurt dressing, a typical South Korean condiment, that has garnished my recent meals.  Instead, mayonnaise in the proverbial white, squeeze bottle added the finishing touch to my Van Gogh of sandwiches.  

Grabbing a Korean replacement bag of chips, and imitation Sprite turned my sandwich into a "meal deal," and I eagerly handed over my cash.  Our reunion couldn't wait any longer. Unwrapping the Subway paper seemed like it took forever, but the result was well worth the wait.  As the flavors mingled inside my mouth, I knew our relationship was something special. I promised to never stay away from you so long, seeing how hard it was for both of us.  To prove my promise was sincere, I wrapped up the other half of my foot-long and brought it home on the train.  Having a subway on the subway seemed ironic to me, and together we shared a laugh.  As I sit here writing this, only a day later, I am again enjoying your company. Sometimes I think your sandwiches taste even better the second day.    

Thank you for your consistency and desire to make me happy.  I will count the days until I see you again.    

Love,
travelgirl

xoxo


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad you and your turkey sandwich finally got back together again after all this time! Your friends must really feel special when you get together after not seeing each other for a long time if you are this emotional about a sandwich!
Love you,
Mom

Brooke said...

So much better on the second day....yumminess :)
I'm sure that your sandwich shed a little lettuce from the joy of your reunion.

Anonymous said...

Holly-
Do you remember our first meal in London? Yup, Subway. It was like $12 but we didn't care.
My coworkers hear me laughing and ask what I'm doing, I tell them you have a new entry because you're bookmarked with them too!

travelgirl said...

Oh, yeah! I forgot we ate there. Maybe I should plan a trip around the world based on the international subway franchises.

Unknown said...

Don't even joke about doing that. There's a guy who is trying to make it to all the Starbucks. He stopped by ours and was on like, his 5000th different Starbucks. Creepy!

travelgirl said...

Alison, that's brilliant! Definitely not creepy :)

Dianne said...

wow! Your writing ability still astounds me Holly...how was I to know that the cute gal who helped me do Dr. Combover's letters held such talent and adventure in her heart? I'm so loving your blog! Srly, I'm glad for blogs, at the end of this, you may want to get it published!
~Diannd~

travelgirl said...

Ha ha!! Thanks, Dianne! I guess those transcriptions really gave me a lot of writing practice. :)

Post a Comment