Feliz Navidad!

Thursday, December 18, 2008


Christmas is just around the corner and I'm amazed at how quickly the past few months have flown by.  The hustle and bustle of the holiday crowds is notably absent in Korea, which makes for a rather quiet holiday season.  Unlike American store decorations, lights have only recently been strung around a few windows.  Christmas music does not play as a soundtrack in restaurants (Britney Spears does), and I have yet to see Santa.  However, the low-key atmosphere offers a new angle and appreciation for the phrase, "it's what you make of it."  

A miniscule, Korean-size Christmas tree that gives Charlie Brown's tree a run for its money, has suddenly become the focal-point of the apartment.  Without many other decorations, we've done our best with the tree and love it despite its height and color deficiency.  Christmas movies, a yearly tradition, are hard to come by on Korean television but I'm prepared to watch the two holiday DVDs I own on repeat.  

The most missed holiday staple is my family.  With only a few days off work this year, I will not have enough time to come home and continue the Christmas traditions I've celebrated every year.  Of course, I must remember that "it's what you make of it."  So to drown out my sorrows and longings to be Home For the Holidays, I've purchased a plane ticket to Beijing, China.  This Christmas will be entirely different from the ones in the past, but I'll do my best to make something good out of the opportunity as I'm sure it won't be too hard to enjoy Beijing. 

I wish you all a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays; and look forward to sharing my trip with you when I return!  


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holly, your tree is darling! We will definitely miss you this Christmas, but I know you will have fun in Beijing. Be sure and take plenty pictures so we can see them when you update your blog.
Love you and miss you,
Mom

Unknown said...

The tree is sooo not as bad as the Charlie Brown tree. (Unless it's droopier in real life...but it looks quite perky in the picture). It's actually kind of cute. In an ugly, white Christmas tree kind of way.
;)

Unknown said...

Holly, your tree is better than the one Joe and I had our first Christmas. It definitely was a Charlie Brown tree. We had to tie a string to the top and tape it to the window so it would stay up. Your tree is sooo much better. Enjoy your trip to Beijing and cherish all of your many travels.

We enjoy reading all of your experiences. Your writing is great and makes us feel like we are there.

Merry Christmas from the Thebeaus

Post a Comment