Strolling

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

I usually carry my camera with me everywhere just in case I miss the perfect picture.  This has been quite helpful in capturing the major experiences of my trip so far, but I still have several random images that didn't quite fit into my previous storylines.  I've decided to host a mini tour of the town I call home, and the quirky things I love about it.  


Here I am - your tour guide, Renee.  Or Holly depending on where we are.  See how I'm in the wilderness with my faux Coach bag?  I really should have brought a more practical purse for my many excursions.  Also note the water bottle in my left hand.  In the craziness of packing, I left my Nalgene bottle at home.  For those of you who know me well you might recall my attachment to the Nalgene bottles I own.  I scoured the Korean countryside and finally found a new one in Namdaemun.  Tucked away in a sporting goods shop behind hiking boots and backpacks, it was covered with dust but calling my name.


On our way to work everyday we pass through the breezeway of what is commonly referred to as, "the RUSSIAN apartments."  One would never know Russians inhabit the area of Ansan, but apparently an agreement of some sort has been made between South Korea and Russia, and the blue apartment complex has been donated to our Northern neighbors.  Really, that's all I know.  This is only significant because the Russian women have a reputation that falls along the same lines as the women in a red-light district.  Unluckily for me, being blonde doesn't automatically peg you as an American.  One day, someone is going to ask me if I'm Russian and I will know exactly what they mean.  I will simply respond with a "no".  Because I'm not.


Mega churches in America have nothing on Korean churches.  This is Dongsan - my new church (largest church in Ansan) and the actual place where my hair was poked.  Andrea estimates the church to have nearly 15,000 members.  With 10 levels and 2 wings, Dongsan is an overwhelming experience not meant for those seeking an intimate congregation.  The English service is located on the top floor while various Korean services meet simultaneously throughout the building.  Thanks to the compassionate English-speaking pastor and the church van, we are able to make semi-frequent trips to Costco with the other foreign teachers.  One Sunday, Andrea and I plan to visit the largest church in the world.  Located in Seoul, it boasts a congregation of 780,000!

 

Fresh fish - literally.  Many restaurants offer the freshest seafood next to pulling it out of the ocean yourself.  Large tanks with live water animals line the streets near our school.  Unknown fish, crab, squid, and eel round out the selection and fill the streets with a "unique" smell.



Unlike the fish tanks, these puppies are NOT located outside of a restaurant.  Surprisingly, there are several tiny pet stores that sell even tinier pets.  Small puppies and kittens (mostly white for some reason) play in the window front of each store.  Though the animals are small, the prices are not.  $300 for one white kitten!  We've seen many people walking their pets around the city and just like the size of Korea's napkins, trash cans, and post-it notes - all of the animals are miniature.

Here are a few more tid-bits about the area:
1.  Leaving a tip in a restaurant or with your cab driver is not customary.  
2.  U-turns are permitted everywhere and at anytime - even in the middle of a traffic jam.
3.  Many people (including us) do not have an oven in their kitchen. 
4.  Green lights mean go.  Yellow lights mean go.  Red lights mean go.  It doesn't matter.
5.  Sprite is often referred to as cider.
6.  Honey mustard is a very common condiment. 
7.  Bring your own toilet paper into a public restroom.  They rarely provide it for you.
 

3 comments:

Brooke said...

Ooohh...I would definitely take issue with #7 on your list.

I'm glad you found a Nalgene bottle...I can't imagine you without one!

Anonymous said...

That's funny about red, yellow and green all mean "Go". Make sure you look before you step into traffic because they may not stop for you! Love all the pictures. Have you eaten any of the fresh seafood?
Love you,
Mom

Unknown said...

Holly, I love the posts. The men carrying their girlfriend's handbag is the best!

Post a Comment