First Day and First Day Off

Saturday, October 4, 2008

Thursday was our first official day of work.  We received confusing schedules, piles of books, and a list of student names to bring with us to class.  Prior to Thursday, everything about our job was in a haze.  On Thursday, it was still unclear.  Thankfully, the other foreign teachers empathized with our situation, having been in the same spot themselves only a few months earlier, and gave us pointers prior to each class.  "Jenny is smart.  Bill is the class-clown.  Keep these two far away from each other.  Play BINGO, and you'll be fine."  Everything seemed pretty standard, and my recent memories of substitute teaching came flooding back.  With substitute teaching you never know what to expect.  Sometimes there are lesson plans, sometimes there aren't.  You just go with the flow so that's what I did on Thursday.  I only had a few classes, but things seemed to turn out just fine.  My youngest kids loved me while the older students seemed indifferent.  Some things never change no matter what country you live in!  

Things to laugh about:

1.  There is another teacher named, Holly, at my school.  To reduce confusion, I have been asked to go by my middle name, Renee.  On the class schedule I am listed as Renee, the Korean teachers call me Renee, and the students refer to me as "Renee Teacher."  I don't recognize the name as my own and have already been unresponsive twice - in one day.  I might have an identity crisis before the year is over.  

2.  When I was a student, I loathed two subjects:  math and history.  Because God has a sense of humor, I was asked to tutor students, at my school in Austin, in math.  I guess the irony was too great, and a repeat performance was necessary.  I've been assigned to teach Korean middle school students American History.  The previous teacher left me some tips:  "All the students hate this class.  It's way too hard for them so just move slowly and try to simplify things. Because it meets late at night, they are very tired and will probably fall asleep.  Good luck."  


Most hagwons (English schools) in Korea are situated inside a shared commercial building.  ECC is located on the 5th floor with various restaurants, convenience stores, salons, and other businesses occupying the remaining tenant space. 



After completing our first day of teaching we were rewarded with a Korean national holiday, Foundation Day.  Although we are not Korean, it is an exciting holiday - no school.  Andrea and I decided to take the opportunity to further explore the city we live in.  We hopped on the subway and headed into downtown Ansan (only 2 stops away).  The downtown area is quite similar to where we live with shops and restaurants lining the streets illuminated by neon signs.  The sidewalks were flooded with well-dressed men and women; something that has become a common, but intriguing sight.  I have never seen more fashion-conscious people gathered in one place.  Girls wear dresses and stilettos everyday while men suit up in perfectly pressed tight jeans and ties.  Each couple looks as though they have stepped off the cover of a style magazine and onto the streets of Korea.

Before coming to South Korea, I scoured the Internet for advice, tips, and general information about its people and culture.  One website noted that male/female couples rarely show affection in public.  They often walk separate from each other and link arms with their own sex. I've found this to be only half-true.  Yes, males will hold hands with other males or throw an arm over the shoulder.  This is quite common and carried out by young boys as well as, older men.  Less surprisingly, females do it too.  The false information I received is in the lack of affection between a male/female dating couple.  Everywhere I go, I see young couples holding hands, or walking arm-in-arm.  This of course is true of people throughout most of the world, but my favorite display of Korean affection is when the man carries his girlfriend's purse.  The Korean man is unashamed to throw a purse over his shoulder, or sling one on his arm for an entire evening.  They are unconcerned about its color, size, or shape.  Hot pink?  Doesn't matter.  Over-sized brown leather?  Even better.  Red patent leather with gold embellishments?  Perfect.  I see more men carrying purses than women.  


Every city in Korea has a slogan.  Bravo Ansan, Hi Seoul...

Our first time to fly solo at the subway station.  The trains are less crowded where we live, but standing room only in Seoul.

A view of downtown Ansan.  They LOVE neon signs here!

Remembering my name is Holly and not Renee, we had to stop here for dinner.  It reminded us a bit of Panera, or Starbucks with sandwiches.

One of many western restaurants.  They also had Outback Steakhouse, Papa Johns, and Pizza Hut!

2 comments:

damona.mae said...

hello renee. LOL. that is pretty funny, as is the fact that you are teaching history. i majored in history and i am still frightened to ever teach it. i'm sure you'll do fine though.

it looks like you are having a great time! i miss ya.

Anonymous said...

Hi Renee Teacher,
I'm so glad Dad and I named you two good names since you have to use your middle one now! I love reading about your adventures and seeing your pictures. I love the pictures with you in them. (Of course!)
Love, Mom
Talk to you tonight!

Post a Comment