To-Do

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

I have a to-do list.  Actually, I have a to-do list for each day.  When something doesn't get done today, I add it to the to-do list for tomorrow.  I don't know whether this makes me sound organized, or neurotic.  Either way, my lists are getting longer instead of shorter.  Every day I think of something else that needs to be completed before I leave.  The Post-It company will never go out of business thanks to me.  

One of the things to accomplish on my list is to cancel my gym membership.  I envisioned a 30 second phone call to customer service and voila!  It turns out the gym hates when people cancel their memberships.  My first call to customer service last week ended when a recording told me to contact my nearest fitness center to make any cancellation requests.  Apparently, customer service can help you with everything else:  reporting a lost/stolen card, locating the gym nearest you, making a payment, putting your account on hold, requesting bill pay assistance, etc.  Everything except canceling your membership.  

I called the gym in Austin where I initially signed up and told the receptionist what I needed. They took down my information and then asked why I was canceling.  After I explained my situation (how I'm moving to the other side of the world), I heard a long, drawn out, "ooookay". He'd have to put me in touch with a manager.  Too bad there were none available, but someone would surely call me back later today.  Right.

A couple days ago I decided to call back since I still hadn't heard from anyone.  I was fed the same routine - even the same, "ooookay" after I told them I was moving to Korea.  Did they really not believe me?  Had I stumped them?  I'm sure they would have tried to work with me had I said my membership fees were too high, the weights were too heavy, or the pool smelled weird.  But, move out of the country, and they're puzzled.  Of course, I was reassured the manager would get back to me within 24 hours.  I gave them the benefit of the doubt and waited 46.

Finally, today was my lucky day.  I called back, but asked right away to speak with a manager. Conveniently, they were all busy at the moment, but "one would surely call me back". (Is this the secret - once a member, always a member?)  I explained my situation one more time, and was delighted to find this person much more receptive.  Just in case someone was suddenly available, they offered to locate a manager one more time.  It worked.  Mike was very nice.  He listened to my story and then looked up my account.  No questions, no concerns, no problems - he'd cancel it all for me.  

Mike:  Hmm... that's strange

Me:  What? 

Mike:  Oh, well I can take care of this.

Me:  Is there something I need to do?

Mike:  Well, it's not letting me cancel your membership because it says that you don't have one. 

Me:  hmm...


The lengths they go to in order to keep a member!  I'm surprised he didn't ask me to sign up for a new membership.


3 comments:

James said...

hahahahha. this story is awesome!

Anonymous said...

OK, they have been taking your money even though they say they can't find your membership. How convenient is that! Maybe they'll find it when you are halfway across the world and sign you up in Korea. Keep us informed if you are working out over there!
Mom! What a surprise!

Anonymous said...

Ha Ha Ha I am a lifetime member!!!!

Post a Comment