Who's taller?

Monday, July 14, 2008


Well, it's official.  I'm moving around the world to South Korea in just over 2 months!  

The application and interview process over the past few weeks has been interesting.  My first job detail came from an agency less than 12 hours after the application took flight from my computer monitor and a phone interview was set up for the same week.  On the night of the interview, I waited by the phone for Korea to call just like a high school girl waits for the cute guy in study hall to pick up the phone.  

**This would be a good time to note that I refer to any interaction I have regarding this whole situation as - Korea.  "Korea hasn't responded.  Korea's so big.  Korea just called.  Korea's upset."  

Because of a miscommunication with the time/day difference, my call never came through that night.  Again, just like the girl who waits for the cute boy.  Eventually the interview was rescheduled and Andrea was called first.

me:  "How did the interview go?"

Andrea:  "Good.  They asked some weird questions though."

me:  "Like what?"

Andrea:  "Well, they asked if I have good health and then they asked which one of us is taller."

me:  "What?"

Andrea:  "If you get paid more for being taller I'm going to be mad!"

My interview was the next day and as if they didn't already know the answers, I was asked the same questions.  "Yes, I have good health... I am actually the taller one... About 5 feet 10 inches... Is that a good thing?"  I was assured it was "very good" though I'm not exactly sure why.    

In the end we were offered the job and after some deliberation - we accepted.  Now the reality is sinking in and sooner than later I will be testing the limits of my dislike for large crowds.    

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Holly (and Andrea) thanks for the official update. I had heard this was a possibly. Good luck! I'm proud of you.

James said...

WHO'S TALLER?!? Ha! That's awesome! I just read every entry cuz I'm cool like that. :) I'm fo' real pumped for you, Miss Holly! I'm proud that you're creating and chasing new dreams and not settling for the 9-5 office life. I look forward to updates. Hopefully I will see you before you leave Austin. You gonna have a going away party?? Let me know!

peace. love. respect.

Krystal Mullins said...

I heart you and your blog. I'm so sad you are leaving but even more excited that I'll get to live vicariously through you and your foreign adventures! :) Keep in touch, lady.

Nippa said...

Hiya!
I'm a new reader! I thank you for your blog. It's very informative and insightful. I'm also planning to go on a teaching placement in south korea. Was wondering what agency did you go through? Did you and your friend get placed next to eachother? I've got a friend i'm going with aswell. Any help or tips would be much appreciated. If you can reply on here or via my email address nippabegum@hotmail.com

Post a Comment